Home-made Rice Crispy Treats topped with Salted Caramel and Chocolate Dipped. Easy recipe for delicious rice crispy treats loaded with gooey marshmallows, crispy rice krispies, and made perfect by salted caramel and rich chocolate.
Chocolate Covered Salted Caramel Rice Crispy Treats
©Flirting with Flavor by FlirtingWithFlavor.com
Pin it to your “Goodies” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Flirting with Flavor on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Who doesn’t love an ooey-gooey home-made rice crispy treat? I absolutely love them! I have for as long as I can remember. It’s because I am a texture person so the crispy cereal mixed with silky soft butter and gooey marshmallow is a perfect combination. I also love a good flavor combination, so the sweet and salty makes for a very happy Juli. These Rice crispy treats take things to a whole new level of perfection! They’re topped with salted caramel then dipped in rich chocolate and the end result is all good things dreams are made of.
The best rice crispy treat I can ever remember tasting was made by my husband’s roommate, back before my husband became my husband. His name was Morgan, and Morgan made a mean rice crispy treat. For a long time he refused to share his secret, but finally he spilled the beans… “The trick is to use twice as many marshmallows and one and half times as much butter; than you actually need.”
Y’all he was totally right! I’ve been making my rice crispy treats that way ever since, and they are always amazing! I mean what ooey-gooey buttery anything wouldn’t be amazing? But still… I can eat an entire pan in one sitting. I like sweets, well actually I love them! However, I rarely eat more than one sweet at a time. I’m a firm believer in “Moderation in All Things”. In the case of Rice Crispy Treats though… Y’all I am a total glutton! Even more so now that I started adding salted caramel and chocolate.
Items that will make the making of these Rice Crispy Treats easier:
Please note that none of these items are mandatory, they’ll just make things easier for you.
- Non-stick Pot (for melting marshmallows and caramels)
- Silicone Muffin Tray
- Cooking Brush (For putting chocolate on the bottom of the treats)
- Parchment Paper or Wax Paper or a Silpat (For catching the dripping chocolate if you drip rather than dip).
Products I use to make these Rice Crispy Treats:
These are the actual products I used when making the rice crispy treats. However, you do not necessarily need to use these particular brands; they are just what I had in my cupboards or found at my local grocer.
- Mini Marshmallows– I do prefer to use the miniature size marshmallows over the Large ones. I feel that they melt more smooth and uniformly.
- Caramel Candies– Making your own caramel is easy and totally an option! I just love how these harden back up to just the right consistency after being melted.
- Melting Chocolate– You can use regular chocolate chips! However, if you choose to use regular chocolate chips rather than melting chocolate; just be sure to add a couple drops of canola or vegetable oil to the chocolate chips before starting to melt them. This little trick makes a world of difference!
Do you see those amazing layers of Chocolate, then Rice Crispy goodness, and Salted Caramel? Yum!
Some fun ideas for how to use these so you don’t eat them all:
- Neighbor and Friend Christmas Gifts
- Teacher Appreciation Gifts
- Fancy Dessert after a Fancy Dinner like this amazing Surf and Turf meal!
Now for the actual recipe:
- 6TBS Butter
- 3 Cups Mini Marshmallows
- 4 Cups Rice Krispy Cereal
- 16 Caramels, unwrapped
- 1 TBS Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Melting Chocolate
- Coarse Salt (For sprinkling on top)
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine caramels, water, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour approximately 1 TBS of Caramel sauce into each muffin round until the caramel spreads to the edges of the cavity.
- Put your cereal mixture in a large bowl and set aside.
- At medium heat, Melt your butter in saucepan.
- Add your Marshmallows. Stir consistently until marshmallows have melted entirely.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour melted marshmallows over cereal and stir until it is all well mixed.
- Place a large spoonful of Rice Crispy mixture atop the caramel in each muffin round hole.
- Place in refrigerator or freezer until they have settled and set.
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave.
- Brush the bottoms of each Caramel topped Rice Crispy treat with Chocolate. Leave them upside down until the chocolate has completely settled and hardened.
- Once Chocolate has hardened, place Treats on a Cookie Cooling Rack, with Parchment Paper/ Wax Paper/ or Silpat underneath.
- Pour melted chocolate over the treats. Reheating and/or adding little bits of oil to the chocolate as needed.
- The sheets underneath will catch the excess chocolate then you can add it back to the melting chocolate at whatever point you need to reheat it.
- After a minute or two, Sprinkle tops of Chocolate covered treats with Course Salt.
- Cool and let set. Then Serve.
These delicious treats were inspired by New York's Bouchon Bakery's "Fuhgeddaboudits"
Share the LOVE and Pin this bit of YUMMY to Pinterest!