Simple, delicious recipe for the most gorgeous chocolate star bread. Layers of fluffy dough separated and twisted with rich chocolate fudge sauce.
Chocolate Fudge Star Bread
©Tangled with Taste by TangledwithTaste.com
This post may contain affiliate links or ads. Please see Disclosure Policy for more information.
Pin it to your “Best Food EVER” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Tangled with Taste on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This recipe was originally posted 12/2021 and is being reposted for easy finding during the holiday season.
Like a cinnamon roll shaped like a star, but way better and no cinnamon!
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good cinnamon roll, and we use cinnamon roll dough to make this. But the end result won’t have you thinking cinnamon roll at all.
Sophisticated, gorgeous, and delicious dessert or breakfast chocolate star bread that will shock you with how simple it is to make.
How to make Star Bread
- Mix, rise, section out, and roll the dough into four circles.
- Then, layer each circle of dough on top of the next, with chocolate fudge sauce between each layer
- Cut 16 even strips into the dough stack, leaving a 3-4 inch diameter circle in the center (I use a small bowl to mark the center spot).
- Twist the strips together and pinch the ends. Brush with egg wash, then bake!
- Let cool ten minutes, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
A couple quick tips:
This bread is super simple to make even though it looks intense. Here are a couple tips to take your experience next level:
- Make double the chocolate sauce. Haha! It’s so good you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful. But also, it’s delicious to dip the bread into after baking for a more intense flavor.
- Don’t over-rise your dough. It’s easier to work with and bakes up prettier if you don’t let rise for extra time.
- Roll the dough then lightly stretch with your fingers, then roll, then shape and lightly stretch with fingers. When I try to do only one or the other, I rarely get the results I’m looking for.
- It’s okay if it’s not perfect! You get better each time you make this, but imperfection looks beautiful when it comes to star bread.
NOTE: I use a bread machine to create the dough. This isn’t necessary. Also you can use your favorite cinnamon roll dough recipe if you prefer it to mine.
Okay, enough talk! Lets eat.
Recipe for Chocolate Fudge Star Bread:
- 2 eggs
- 8 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 c sugar
- 3 TBS brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 c all purpose flour
- 2 TBS instant yeast
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- In that order, place ingredients in bread machine, ending with the yeast at the very top above the flour.
- Set bread machine to regular dough cycle.
- Let it do it's job (usually a little less than 2 hours)
- Remove dough and on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough and cut into four even sized balls.
- Cover the ball with plactic wrap and let rest 10-15 min.
- In a small sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add unsalted butter and heavy whipping cream together, and bring to a soft boil.
- Let simmer for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Then add in brown sugar and cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and salt.
- Whisk, and let sit a minute to thicken.
- Roll each dough ball out into a thin 10 circle and place the first circle on a piece of parchment paper.
- Top with chocolate sauce then layer the other three circles and filling on top.( leaving the top circle bare.)
- Put a 2 or 3 inch bowl in the center and then using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the circle stack creating 16 equal strips that are still connected in the center.
- Using two hands pick up two strips and twist them from each other two or three times then press the ends together filmly.
- Repeat that until you end up with eight of twisted strips.
- Transfer the star bread to a baking tray and cover with plastic wrap and let it rest 15 min.
- Preheat the oven 380 F.
- Brush the star bread with beaten egg and pour a little bit granuleted sugar on top.
- Bake for about 20-30 min until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about 10 min.
- Dust with confectioners sugar on top and serve warm.