From frozen roast to tender flavor packed shredded french dip beef in just 90 minutes, this easy recipe for Instant pot French Dip Sandwiches is absolutely delicious!
This content may use referral links. Read our disclosure policy for more info.
Pressure Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
©Flirting with Flavor by FlirtingWithFlavor.com
Pin it to your “Instant Pot” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Flirting with Flavor on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Who’s ready to take a frozen solid roast beef and have a full dinner ready 90 minutes later with MINIMAL work on your part? If you’re raising your mental hand right now, then this recipe is for you!
Using a frozen roast and some key flavor ingredients, I throw everything in the instant pot for 80 minutes. Then some quick shredding, a hoagie roll and a slice of cheese later; you’ve got the BEST French Dip sandwich you will ever try!
If you’ve watched the Disney movie “Moana”, then you know what tune I am singing the words “You’re Welcome” to right about now… Haha!
Busy Mama’s (and Dada’s!)- I hear ya!
Wake up in the early morn’
My body yells “When you gonna get you some rest?!”
Oh body dear you know it’ll come,
But now I’ve gotta be Mom!
Oh now, I’ve gotta be Mom!
(Dear Reader- I am in a singing mood! Just go ahead and reread that above paragraph to the tune of the song “Girl’s just wanna have fun!”)
If you’re like me, then when that alarm goes off in the early morning hours, it is “go, go, go time!”
Between getting lunches made and breakfasts fed, then kids out the door to school and myself to working (with a toddler on my hip no less!). Followed by after school activities and homework; sometimes making dinner is a very rushed affair.
We eat Mac’n’cheese for dinner more often then I’d honestly like to admit.
Due to the crazy hecticness of mom life you can see why my 20 minute meals are so important to me and how those recipes came to fruition.
These French Dip Sandwiches are not a 20 minute meal, but your actual prep time will be less than ten minutes so if the song above registers in your brain, then this is a recipe you will want.
If the song above does not resonate with you, this is still a recipe you will want because it’s freaking delicious y’all!
B³ – Buying Beef in Bulk
Dear reader, I like to save money. I’m not into coupon cutting because I really don’t have time, and I don’t buy everything off the sale rack (especially when it comes to food!). However if I can save money and not sacrifice flavor or quality, then you can bet I am going to do that.
When it comes to beef, if you buy in bulk you can often save alot of money. Especially through a big warehouse grocer like Costco or Sam’s Club.
I like to purchase and cook my steaks fresh for best flavor. Roasts however, can be frozen and saved for later. I often will purchase a big ten pound roast, and cut it into smaller roasts. I weigh them and label them and freeze them for a later date.
Since figuring out how to cook roast from frozen to French Dip perfection in 90 minutes via Instant pot, I am purchasing those ten pounders much more often!
I highly suggest you consider doing the same!
Fresh and Frozen
A couple last notes before we get to cooking!
- You do not have to use a frozen roast for this recipe! Adjust the cooking time from 80 minutes to 60 minutes.
- You do not need to have an Instant Pot! It will take longer, but you can cook this same recipe in your crockpot on high for 4 hours fresh roast or 6-8 hours frozen roast.
Enough talk! Let’s eat!
Recipe for Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches:
- 1 2-3 pound Beef Chuck Roast
- 1/2 Onion
- 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 dashes of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 TBS Garlic Powder
- 1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce (optional! Tastes super great without it, but if you have it on hand then I suggest adding it.)
- 2 cups Beef Broth (or 2 cups water and 3 beef buillon cubes)
- 1 packet French Onion Soup mix
- 6-8 Hoagie Rolls
- 6-8 slices Provolone Cheese
- Minced Chives (optional for sprinkling the meat with before topping with cheese)
- Combine Onion, Red WIne Vinegar and Red pepper flakes in the instant pot on "saute" for about 5 minutes or until Onion is beginning to turn clear and red wine vinegar has reduced by more than half.
- Add Beef Broth, then all other Roast Ingredients.
- Cover with lid and turn the top notch to "sealed".
- Press the "Meat" button on your instant pot and set time to 80 minutes.
- When time ends, turn the top notch to release the pressure.
- Place meat in a bowl with about 1/3 cup liquid and shred it (to do this quickly, place your meat in a stand up mixer with paddle attachment on medium speed for about 30-45 seconds).
- Fill Hoagie buns with hot meat and top with slices of provolone.
- Serve with leftover juices from cooking.