Shepherds Pie: Loaded with veggies and comfort food goodness, this is the ultimate meat and potatoes type dish. My spin on this classic can be made with either ground lamb or beef. Sure to be a dish the whole family will love!
Creamy Shepherds Pie
©Tangled with Taste by TangledwithTaste.com
This post may contain affiliate links or ads. Please see Disclosure Policy for more information.
Pin it to your “Comfort Food” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Tangled with Taste on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Originally posted August 2021, reposted with updates to answer recipe questions.
My grandma and then my mother both used to make this dish, it was a favorite! I don’t have their original recipe and I’ve made some changes to how they made it anyway (ie: Leave off the loads of cheddar cheese lol), but this is rolling in memories and comfort food feels and is a pretty darn good version of this delicious classic dish!
Creamy Shepherds Pie Recipe
I won’t claim this dish is healthy because I’m pretty sure the cream and butter negate that idea. However, we do load it with all kinds of vegetables and goodness. And the best part is your kids won’t even notice them because the flavor is so great.
These photos show carrots, mushrooms, peas and onions. However I’ve been making this dish for weeks at this point (recipe testing) and have included all kinds of veggies. I don’t suggest peppers as their flavor strongly changes the flavor of the entire dish. However, every other vegetable I’ve tried has worked out lovely.
- Green beans
- Yellow squash
- Green Zucchini
They key is to dice them small enough it could almost be considered a mince.
Traditional Shepherds Pie
Every shepherds pie recipe I’ve ever been given calls for lamb meet and for cheddar cheese.
Both are optional.
I love this dish with lamb. However, some people (my son) don’t love the flavor of lamb. We’ve been making this with ground beef and the pie turns out just as delightful!
Additionally, you can choose to top the mashed potatoes with cheese if you so desire.
Recipe for Shepherd’s Pie:
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup minced mushrooms
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1lb ground beef or lamb
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Large splash Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 2 cups heavy whipping Cream
- *optional, frozen peas
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- In a large frying pan, sauce vegetables, red pepper flakes and ground meat together until vegetables are softened.
- Pour red wine over meat and veggie mixture and add thyme and red pepper flakes.
- Let wine reduce down until it's almost completely gone, then add Worcestershire, beef bouillon and heavy whipping cream.
- Bring to a simmer until bouillon is completely dissolved.
- Pour mixture into the bottom of a pie dish.
- Cover with thin layer of frozen peas.
- Layer mashed potatoes atop meat and veggie mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.