Sugar cookies made with lemon, topped with sour cream frosting, then drizzled with fresh lemon juice for easy and delicious Sour Cream Lemon Sugar Cookies.
Sour Cream Lemon Sugar Cookies
©Flirting with Flavor by FlirtingWithFlavor.com
Pin it to your “Best Cookies Ever” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Flirting with Flavor on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Super quick and easy sugar cookie that is great on it’s own, but add this sour cream lemon frosting and fresh squeezed lemon juice and your whole world will be so much better!
Dear person here to read my blog: I know you are here for this amazing lemon sugar cookies recipe, if you do not want to read all my blah blah blah-ing then I totally understand, (though you might miss out on one of those “blah”s being totally hilarious!), so just skip to the bottom of the page where you will find the recipe outlined in pink :).
When Life hands you Lemons
If you’ve been following my blog for awhile, then you know I love using Lemon in my recipes. From my Thanksgiving Turkey to Lemon Butter Shrimp or Sour Cream Lemon Pie and all the lemon recipes in between, one thing is for certain:
When life hands you lemons, do a little happy dance and get to cooking!!!
I’m of the opinion that lemons were created by God himself (when he was in a very good mood)! They are such amazing little fruits that make life so much better. I love lemons y’all!
And lemon desserts? “Halllelujah!” Pretty darn positive they make the angels sing, especially the lemon desserts like these sour cream lemon sugar cookies.
Nice animals hate Juli Purcell
Friends let me tell you 5 facts of life:
- Research has found that good relationships are more important to a long life than exercise.
- I’m going to die young.
- 68% of the people suffer from Phantom Vibration Syndrome, the feeling that one’s phone is vibrating when it’s not.
(ME!!! I totally suffer from PVS! Note that says V not M. Hahaha!)
- Romantic love is biochemically indistinguishable from having a severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
(Ha! All that time I thought I was in love was really OCD!!!)
- Animals that are usually considered nice— they hate Juli Purcell.
Dear Reader, did you read number 5 in my list of facts? It’s true. Today I’m going to tell you the story of Peaches the donkey, and if you check out my Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies post you will see that dolphins want to kill me too. (You will also see another set of AMAZING SUGAR COOKIES that you should really consider making!).
Peaches the Donkey thought he was a Buckin’ Bronco
In my Green Chile Pork Enchiladas recipe, I told you about Buster the meanest horse alive, and I mentioned Peaches the donkey. I said Peaches was evil, but the truth of the matter is that Peaches was usually the sweetest animal alive…
Once upon a time, after a near death experience involving Buster and a tree, I was too scared to ride any other animals (including Horse the pig… And that’s saying something!).
My dad, being the “if you get bucked off, get back on” kind of fella, decided to remedy that problem. So he told me I needed to go for a ride on Peaches.
Now here’s the thing of the matter- my dad really did have good intentions! How could he have known that I have a smell or something (as I still refuse to believe I smell funky) that makes animals go berserk?
So dear old dad put me up on Peaches back and gave her a little love tap on the rump. Dear reader, do you remember that word I just used a minute ago? Berserk. Yeah, that’s where Peaches went…
Y’all I’m pretty sure my form would’ve put Lane Frost to shame! (If you have no idea who the heck that is, it’s a guy from the ProRodeo Hall of Fame— Yes, that’s a real thing! Also they made a movie about him called “8 Seconds”).
And if not Lane, I at least would’ve given Raggedy-Ann a run for her money!
Peaches turned buckin-bronco on my poor 7 year old self and the 8 seconds, or perhaps milliseconds, I stayed on her back were some of the scariest of my life! I can still remember the absolute terror.
After that experience I changed my wish of future employment from “Rodeo Rider” to “Behind the Couch Hider”.
When Dad eventually found my hiding spot he made me get back on again. This time it was on a horse named “Bully”…
Recipe for Sour Cream Lemon Sugar Cookies:
- 2/3 c White Sugar
- 1/3 c Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 c Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Room Temperture
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Flour
- 4 TBS Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2.5 cups Powder Sugar
- 3 TBS Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Mix together in a small bowl and set aside
- 3-6 lemons, cut into 4-8 wedges each.
- Combine sugars, eggs, oil, butter, and lemon ingredients together and mix until well creamed.
- In a seperate bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix until a non-sticky dough ball is formed (about 1-2 minutes).
- Make Golf ball sized dough balls and place about 2 inches apart from eachother on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or silpat or sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Using a small jar or cup bottom, dip it in the Sugar/Salt mixture and then use it to push the cookies to approximately 1/2 cm thickness with cute outer edges.
- Bake at 350F degrees for exactly 8 minutes.
- *They will NOT look like they are finished cooking, but they are!
- Remove them from the oven and let them continue to sit on cookie sheet for 5 mins then transfer to cooling rack.
- Once room temperature, Frost the cookies and top with a fresh lemon slice.
- Squeeze the fresh lemon juice on top of the cookies and then eat... ENJOY!