Classic Lasagna, but so much better! A quick easy recipe to create the most amazing Lasagna ever; loaded with Spicy Sausage, Tomato Sauce, and Cheeses.
Best Ever Lasagna
©Flirting with Flavor by FlirtingWithFlavor.com
Pin it to your “Amazing Dinners” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Flirting with Flavor on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Basagna; short for “Batman Lasagna”. I have a little boy named Rocco. Rocco is a very picky eater. When Rocco was younger, the only way to get him to eat something was to tell him it was Super hero approved. At our house we eat Thor Chicken Curry, Hulk Hamburgers, Captain America Pancakes, and more. When my sweet Aunt DeAnne shared her Lasagna recipe with me a couple years back I was so excited to make it! However, Rocco wouldn’t even try it. Then something wonderful happened: Rocco’s favorite superhero Batman called to tell him that Lasagna is his very favorite. We’ve been eating “Basagna” regularly ever since!
Is it done yet?
Do you remember from your childhood those meals that when you smelled it cooking you just knew that you were starving to death right that very second? So then you poked and bugged and whined at your mom (or dad, or whoever cooked at your house), “Is it done yet?!” over and over and over again.
At my childhood house, that meal was Vidalia Onion Chicken. For my children, that meal is Lasagna. They can be outside playing, rolling around in the dirt, hitting each other with sticks and pretty much just having the best time of their crazy imagination filled day; then one will run in the house to get a drink, smell the Lasagna, and suddenly feel their life slipping away from absolute starvation. Said child will yell to their co-conspirator sibling
“Hey Rocco! Mommy is cooking Basagna!”
and all of the sudden that little fiend is perishing as well. I love those moments. They make me feel like a good mom.
“We’re dying! we’re dying! Is it done yet?!”
Some things you should know about this Lasagna, for best results!
- Use HOT sausage. I promise it really isn’t very spicy inside your Lasagna. However. it flavors everything beautifully.
- Pre cook your Lasagna Noodles. A lot of Lasagna recipes have their noodles cook in the sauce while in the oven. However, I have found that pre-cooking the noodles creates more uniformity in their cooking. Also, it saves time in the oven.
- Finally, Use a spaghetti sauce you love! If you’re using a bland or unseasoned tomato sauce your lasagna will not taste near as good. So, if you are doing that, then be sure to add your own seasonings, such as basil, parsley, and oregano.
- This Lasagna is even better on day 2 when the Flavors have had time to meld and mature.
Recipe for Basagna a.k.a BEST EVER Lasagna:
- 1 16 oz box of Lasagna Noodles, boiled in salted water until Al Dente
- 1 more Cup Mozzarella, shredded
- 3-5 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1 16oz package HOT pork sausage, Browned and crumbled in a frying pan, then drained.
- 1 24 oz container of Cottage Cheese (not drained. I usually use small curd)
- 1 bottle of your favorite spaghetti sauce (approximately 24-28 oz)
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- Combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Cover the bottom of your baking dish with a shallow layer of the filling.
- Arrange 3-4 noodles atop the layer of filling, slightly overlapping.
- Generously spoon a layer of filling atop the layer of noodles.
- Continue to arrange noodles and filling atop one another until you've used it all.
- Top the layers with the last cup of Mozzarella and the shredded Basil.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let Rest 5-10 minutes, then serve.
Be a love and share this and other Flirting with Flavor recipes to your Social Media and Pinterest!