Thank you California Closets for sponsoring this post.
California Closets helped design a customized space to improve the way I live and help foster a joyful and calm environment.
©Tangled with Taste by TangledwithTaste.com
This post may contain affiliate links or ads. Please see Disclosure Policy for more information.
Pin it to your “Dream House Hacks” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Tangled with Taste on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
My experience working with a California Closets design consultant: what I learned through the California Closets process and how it inspired me to create a calm space for me, and to maximize my space to accommodate my everyday needs and personal style.
Why I needed California Closets:
As you can see form the image above, my closet was a hot mess.
I’m a person that really really enjoys a calm organized environment. However my personal space is always going to be the last place I make a priority.
On top of that, I am a very sentimental person. I attach value to items that don’t need to be valued, all because of a specific memory.
Y’all, this is embarrassing to admit, but I had clothes in my closet from high school still.
The California Closets Process
California Closets’ professional design consultants will collaborate with you to create a custom design that meets your needs, reflects your personal style and works within your budget.
On their website. California Closets offers a free design consultation. So after watching the following video and seeing that offer, it seemed a no-brainer for me to at least get a ballpark design and price range for my space.
My personal experience with Marie Kondo and California Closets
After contacting them, a local design consultant; Kelly, called and explained a little bit about herself, her knowledge and the process with me ahead of time. Then she came to me home and took a look at the space. I could tell she had been doing this for quite awhile.
I had no idea what I wanted, and Kelly did a wonderful job in creating a beautiful design, exactly my taste and style. She gave me different options from the low end of the budget to the high end. And she took my current & future wardrobe needs into account and used that knowledge when making a plan.
Kelly set up my design in a 3-D CAD drawing which gave me a real visual of what it would look like. From there, we added and changed things as desired until my dream closet was right there on her computer!
California Closets: not just closets
When I called California Closets I wasn’t even sure which space in my home I wanted done. I just knew I wanted an organized calm-inducing place that was mine. Somewhere to breathe easy when stepping into that space.
- California Closets offers custom organizational solutions throughout the home—of course they do closets but also much more! From pantries and media centers, to mudrooms and garages, California Closets enhances the storage potential and purpose of even small spaces to maximize the efficacy of the home.
- Because California Closets uses individual pieces; it gives the client control of the budget. The consultant is there to facilitate their needs for their budget.
Kelly walked through my entire home with me. She had ideas using her experience combined with The KonMari Method, for many of the spaces. Such as:
- White light bulbs. Right now my home has different colored light bulbs and the lights clash with each other creating discord even in my lighting.
- Getting rid of anything that doesn’t spark happiness. So many of the items in my home and closet have memories attached that since my divorce, make me very sad.
- Thanking the items for the memories, but getting rid of items I won’t use. I hold on to things that are attached to a good memory. Which is why I still had clothes from good days in high school; clothes I would never ever wear again but couldn’t bring myself to get rid of.
- Keeping a folding step stool in your closet specifically for that space that you can utilize even the top shelves of your closet.
Ultimately we decided on my personal closet as the space to put together a redesign. There was very minimal, if any, sales pressure which I found refreshing.
Kelly gave me options for both the low and high end of my budget. It was fun because I could see a great way to utilize the space and then still had fun options such as Jewelry trays, sliding belt racks, and a valet rod.
Once I decided on what I wanted the process from there is simple:
- All taxes, installation, delivery and other fees are covered in the upfront quote they give you.
- Down payment is made, or full payment. (They also offer payment plans according to location). Then within a week to two weeks they are ready to install.
In the end I decided against redoing my entire closet at this time for personal budget reasons.
However, after this experience I do know I will work with them in the future.
Top reasons I want to work with California Closets:
- Lifetime guarantee on their work
- Locally Owned and operated
-Supports local businesses
-Customizes to your needs
- The California Closets system is very versatile, with the ability to adjust so you can convert or add to as needed.
- The designs and products are beautiful and functional with many options to fit your tastes.
After seeing the possibilities for my closet, I couldn’t leave it as is. I used what tips I could from The KonMari Method and from Kelly.
My closet is now much more minimal, but full of only pieces that inspire happiness or calm.
Thank you Kelly and Austin California Closets! I can’t wait to work with you again in the future and on my forever home!!!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.