Coconut Lemongrass Soup: Vibrantly rich broth with subtle flavors of coconut, lemongrass, & lime plus sweet hints of heat. Served with chicken, mushrooms, & cilantro over Udon noodles!
Coconut Lemongrass Soup
©Tangled with Taste by TangledwithTaste.com
Pin it to your Soup board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Tangled with Taste on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see disclosure page for more information.
For more fun Udon recipe ideas, visit JSL Foods page, and their twitter or facebook feed.
If this flavor combination does not sound like a wonderful and delightful recipe, then think again; This soup is incredible!
I first tried a soup similar to this while on vacation with family. I would never have ordered it myself, however my sisters convinced me to give it a try.
One of the BEST flavor combination’s I’ve ever tried in my life! When I got home I was determined to recreate it and you need to try it now. I wasn’t kidding y’all; this soup is incredible!
You put the Lime in the Coconut and shake it all up!
If you ever read my Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies post, then you read:
The combination of Lime and Coconut makes me think of two things:
- That song I quoted above. And,
- Tropical Vacations!
Am I right?!
After which, if you read my whole post, then you found the story of that time I took a lime and coconut tropical vacation and learned that dolphins hate me. Which truly isn’t fair because they’ve been my favorite animals for basically my whole life.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it
Dear reader, if you know me personally then you know it takes a long time for me to learn a lesson. Take the past three years of my life for example. If I could learn a lesson the first or second time, then I am quite certain my life would be vastly different from it is. However, it has taken a thousand times and I’m just barely beginning to grasp the fact that history repeats itself if we don’t learn from it.
So yeah, if you know me personally then you know I rarely learn from my mistakes. Haha!
I’d like to say that’s changing, but honestly I’m terrible at learning anything from history other than that I don’t learn from history.
And if the sentence above makes zero sense, I’ll spell it out for you…
I’m going swimming with dolphins again!
Wish me luck, because obviously I am going to need it. Haha!
(And if that sentence above also makes no sense then you probably need to go read my dolphin story…).
Facts of Life
Well y’all, in the before-mentioned coconut lime post, I gave 1 fact of life:
- Dolphins don’t like me.
Today I am adding two more:
- I can’t juggle worth beans.
- Noodles make everything better.
Noodles for life baby!
This recipe was developed as an attempt to recreate and add to the one I tried while on vacation. That soup was served over rice; which was delish!
However, I am a noodle kind of girl. There are few things that I think would taste better with rice than with noodles.
For this recipe I used JSL Foods Fortune UDON noodles in chicken flavor. They were a great addition to the fabulous flavors I was already working with.
You can purchase JSL Foods products at: Albertson, Lucky’s, Von’s, Pavilions, WinCo, and Target.
Okay y’all, enough talk! Let’s eat!
Oh, and wish me luck with my coconut lime vacation next week with the dolphins! I bet if I smelled like lemongrass they would like me better…
Recipe for Coconut Lemongrass Soup:
- 2 TBS Canola Oil
- 1 TBS minced Garlic
- 1 stalk/bulb Lemongrass, cut into 1.5 inch chunks
- 1/3 cup Thai Red Curry Sauce
- 2.5 cups Water
- 3 Chicken Buillon Cubes
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 TBS Soy Sauce
- 2 cans Coconut Milk
- 1-2 cups button mushrooms
- 1TBS Butter
- 2 TBS Canola Oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cut into strips
- 1 lime cut into slices
- Fresh Cilantro
- 3 packages Chicken flavored UDON noodles.
- Combine 2 TBS Canola Oil with garlic and Lemongrass in a pot over med-high heat.
- Let them saute together for 1 minute then add the Red Curry Sauce.
- Continue letting them cook together for 1 more minute,
- then add the water, buillon, ground ginger, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer while you cook chicken and mushrooms.
- While soup base is simmering, heat butter and canola oil in fry pan over high heat.
- As soon as the butter is melted, add the whole mushrooms.
- Let them saute for one minute then add the chicken strips. Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Let the two saute until lightly browned (2-3 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and chicken to the soup pan, along with two cans of coconut milk.
- Let the entire mixture continue to simmer while you cook the noodles.
- In a Separate pan, cook UDON noodles according to the package directions.
- When noodles are cooked, place them in bowls and top with a lime slice.
- Pour soup mixture over noodles in each bowl.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro (optional) and serve immediately.