A fast recipe for easy, delicious homemade pizza dough, that is light & airy, with just the right amount of crunch; perfect for grilling or baking!
Homemade Pizza Dough
©Flirting with Flavor by FlirtingWithFlavor.com
Pin it to your “Best FOOD Ever” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Flirting with Flavor on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Y’all you just can’t go wrong with pizza.
Having a bad day… Eat a pizza.
Your dog just died… Eat two pizzas. And probably some ice cream too.
You just woke and you can’t even remember who you are or what your name is… What is wrong with you?! If you can’t remember who you are, then why are you on my blog?! I know I’m awesome and all that; But man! Go eat a pizza and check yourself into the psych ward!
Or, better yet; take this opportunity to name yourself something awesome like Iron Man, or Rambo, or Wallace; and then start a new life and be whatever it is you always wanted to be (of course if you can’t remember your name then you probably can’t remember what you always wanted to be. That’s so sad. I’m sorry friend but I’m gonna have to stand by my original advice: eat a pizza and go check yourself into a psych ward. HUGS!)
So my family and I have this tradition where we eat out at our favorite pizza joint for big occasions and birthdays.
However, 3 years ago after eating there for my son’s birthday we went home and later that evening my life was ripped to shreds. I now can’t even drive past that pizza joint without being triggered and spending the rest of the day in tears or in bed or both.
I’m trying to work through it, I really am. I’ve even been back to that place a couple times trying to toughen myself up or white knuckle my way through a meal for my kids sake or my friends sake…
Logically I know that what happened later that night had nothing to do with that restaurant, but PTSD isn’t really logical is it?
The problem is, there is no better pizza place I’ve tried that even begins to live up to that one. Their crust is the bomb-diggity.
Hence the search for the perfect homemade pizza dough began. Little did I know it was right under my nose the whole time…
Hide and Seek Pizza Dough
Y’all I have tried sooo many homemade pizza dough recipes! And while some have been good, none were living up to take out.
Then the best thing happened! A light bulb turned on inside my head, an idea struck, and brain awesomeness woke up!!!
You see, one afternoon I had French Bread dough rising and my little girl got all excited because it smelled like pizza.
Well who can let an excited 7 year old down when she’s excited? Obviously, not me.
The french bread dough became pizza dough and a few tweeks later we had a winner!
Don’t throw your dough unless your cool
So when we were taking the pictures for this great post, I tried throwing the pizza dough so I would look cooler than normal.
You guys! Such a mistake (palm slap to forehead).
I had lots of dough ready for this shoot and ended up not being able to use any of it. Haha!
As you can see in one of these pictures, the first pizza I tried to toss ended up in the gravel.
Then I got smarter and took the dough to the table where once again I attempted to toss it in the air…
See that dog right there? He (or she) belongs to my friend. I don’t even know dog’s name, so I named it Sammie.
Well, when I tossed my pizza dough in the air; Sammy grabbed it and ran away with it. Hahaha! Serves me right for never leaning Sammie’s name. Maybe it’s Wallace. Or Rambo.
The Perfect Crust
If you could describe the perfect pizz crut, would it go something like this:
Thick, but not too thick. Soft and chewy but with a slight crisp to the outermost layer. Finally, let’ not forget, buttery.
That is how you’d describe it?
Oh good! Because that’s this crust!
Enough talk, let’s eat!
Recipe for the Perfect Homemade Pizza Dough:
This yields enough pizza dough for one large pizza, or two smalls, or 2 medium sized flatbreads.
- 2 Tablespoons Yeast
- 2 cups WARM Water
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Salt
- 4 cups Flour
- 1/4 cup Butter
- Drizzle of olive oil (optional)
- Dissolve 2 TBS Yeast with 2 cups Warm Water.
- Add 1 TBS Sugar.
- In a mixer, stir in 3 tsp salt and 4 cups Flour.
- Mix well,
- Add extra flour as needed to make the dough soft and smooth.
- Run an extra 30 seconds to a minute in the mixer.
- Let rise until double in bulk; about 45 minutes.
- Dump on to a lightly floured surface.
- Fold over from each side into the middle one time, then place it ugly side down back in the bowl and let it rise for another hour.
- Divide the dough into however many pizzas you are wanting to make.
- roll or stretch to shape.
- Let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Brush down with butter and olive oil on each side.
- Top with your favorite pizza toppings and make at 450 for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and bottom.
- Once you have the dough shaped and brushed with butter, grill one side for about 1-2 minutes at around 400F degrees.
- Remove from grill and place dough side down.
- Top the pre-grilled side with your pizza sauce and toppings, then return to the grill for another 5-6 minutes or until grilled a golden brown color.