Tender, buttery and rich Filet Mignon; topped with an herb filled layer of perfectly seasoned shallots and finished off with herb and citrus herb butter. Shockingly quick recipe for incredibly delicious Filet Mignon Tenderloin.
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY JORD WOOD WATCHES, ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN.
Shallot topped Filet Mignon with Herb Butter
©Flirting with Flavor by FlirtingWithFlavor.com
Pin it to your “Most Amazing Food Ever!” board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Flirting with Flavor on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
About seven-ish years ago, my husband took me on a date to an INCREDIBLE restaurant in Los Angeles by the name of Bouchon. Over our fantastic drinks, bread, and most importantly; entrees, we wrote out a list of goals onto a napkin. Goals for places we wanted to go and things we wanted to do, together. We have kept that napkin in the glove box of our car ever since.
Why am I telling you silly stories about napkin goals? Because Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and that was hands down the most romantic moment of our entire marriage and the most incredible meal of my entire life. The napkin still brings me to tears (although perhaps not for the same reasons it used to) and the food we ate that night? Oh Heavens above y’all! You know on TV shows and in movies when people take a bite of food and their eyes roll back in their heads and they make funny noises? I literally did that over every single bite. The poor restaurant people were probably embarrassed on my behalf! Haha! Some foods are so good the noises we make just can’t be helped.
It is hard to understate the amazingness that is Shallots. I want to tell you about them because I don’t want you to be off-put by the big layer of these little beauties atop your filet mignon. If I were asked to describe shallots in one word, it’d be a made-up word; Bugarlion.
I am laughing my head off right now. “Bugarlion”; it’s a mix of three words, Butter, Garlic, and Onion. Because that is the flavor you get from shallots. When cooked, shallots taste mildly like a mix of butter, garlic and a sweet onion. Or in other words, shallots came straight from Food Heaven!
Back to Romantic Date night with Napkin Goals!
Okay, back to that super romantic date I once went on with the fantastic food! That evening we ate steak topped with shallots and Maitre d’hotel butter. It was divine! I bought the Bouchon cookbook specifically because of that life-changing flat iron steak; and it really has changed my life. This Shallot topped Filet Mignon recipe is a version of that. However, often times I’m unable to find the ingredients that Thomas Keller calls for in his recipes, so if you were comparing recipes, you’d see that I have made adjustments and changes to make it a simpler recipe that can be made at home.
Made at home: What I think you should do for Valentines day! Make this amazing steak for dinner, perhaps with some Grape Salad and Herbs and Cream Scalloped Potatoes. Then you should write goals on napkins or dance around the kitchen to candle-light or sit by a fire and read each other stories or something else ridiculously cute and romantic! At which point you should present your Love-a-Love-Lover with the perfect Valentines gift…
You may have noticed at the beginning of this post that I mentioned it is sponsored by JORD watches. I think you all should know that I will only ever represent or tell you about products that I personally love and approve of. I’m not going to push a product or brand I don’t believe in.
Have y’all ever see the unique watches found at JORD? I can’t even tell you how in love I am with these cool watches. So of course I jumped all of the opportunity when JORD reached out about a collaborating on a Valentine’s Day post with them. I can’t say it better than JORD did with the words:
“Warm the heart of the one you cherish by gifting them a natural wood watch from JORD! There is no better way to show that your time, is and will always belong to them.”
(Seriously I would probably include that last little part about my time in love note accompanying the watch!).
Isn’t it beautiful? I feel like my picture doesn’t even do it justice. You should have seen the gorgeous packaging and then the clean wood smell. Oh!
Luxury Wooden Watch
I am particularly obsessed with the Dover series from JORD’s Men’s Wood Watches. I love it because I think the exposed gears are beautiful! Plus, the fact that they are not battery-run, but wind up, is absolutely fascinating to me and makes this that much more of a unique watch. In fact, the beautiful watch I got for my husband (shown above) is actually from the JORD Dover line. However, all of JORD’s watches are unparalleled in beauty and clever design so if the Dover isn’t your cup of tea, keep looking. They also have the most GORGEOUS women’s watches. I think I need one. You probably need one too. Go check them out, I’m sure you will love them as much as I do.
I am so excited to announce that JORD is offering a cool watch contest for all my readers (that’s you!). Enter here to win a $100 gift code to use on the JORD site. Only one person will win, but everyone will receive a consolation code worth $25.00 at the end of the contest! Boo-yeah baby! Happy Valentine’s Day to me! (Contest ends 2/19/2017 and gift codes expire 4/30/2017).
Recipe for Shallot topped Filet Mignon with Herb Butter:
Yields Serves 4
Adapted from Thomas Keller's Bouchon Steak Frites Maitre D'Hotel
- 4 TBS Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Parsley, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Dash of Salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- Form butter mixture in to a log-like shape on a piece of saran wrap, twisting or folding the ends over to form a compact log. Place in refrigerator or freezer until ready to use. Can be stored for months.
- 4 Filet Mignon Steaks
- Salt and Pepper
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2.5 cups Shallots, finely chopped/diced
- 1-2 Tablespoons Minced Thyme
- Preheat oven 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Very Generously season the steaks on both sides.
- In a Large skillet or in 2 , over high heat, Add Canola oil until it coats the bottom of the pan.
- Once hot, add the steaks. and cook for 90 seconds.
- Flip steaks and Turn heat down to medium.
- Add the butter and thyme to the pan.
- Tilt pan on it's side and spoon the butter/oil juices over the steaks to baste them. Do this for 1 full minute.
- Add the Shallots to the pan around the steaks and let everything cook in the pan for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer the Steaks to a cooking sheet.
- Stir shallots and Thyme together and let continue to cook for about 2-3 more minutes. Until turning clear, but not browned.
- Using a slotted spoon (So that the oils drain rather than transfer), Top the steaks with the shallot thyme mixture.
- Place the steak holding baking sheet into the oven and cook for 8 minutes for Steaks to be medium done. Add two minutes on for a medium well steak.
- Remove from oven and top each steak with 1 Tablespoon of Herb Butter.
- Put back in the oven for 1 minute.
- Serve Immediately.
Share the LOVE and pin this and other Flirting with Flavor recipes to Pinterest!
debi at Life Currents says
Divya Mathur says
The Foodie Affair says
Flirting with Flavor says